[Stgt-devel] Fwd: Implementation of vtl

Mark Harvey markh794
Thu May 8 01:28:51 CEST 2008

Oops. Forgot to 'reply all'...

Forwarding to stgt mailing list - just in case I've got my facts wrong.

Cheers
Mark

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Mark Harvey <markh794 at gmail.com>
Date: Thu, May 8, 2008 at 7:32 AM
Subject: Re: [Stgt-devel] Implementation of vtl
To: aftab azmi <max_aftab at yahoo.com>

I'm not quite sure of your meaning of "couldn't find any value for
 filemark" so please excuse me, if I'm talking to the converted...

 A 'filemark' is a special bit pattern written to tape which is not
 actually data. Just a 'mark' so the tape drive firmware can find
 (position to) it. Many backup programs (VERITAS NetBackup, Legato
 NetWorker as larger examples) use filemarks as delimiters between
 segments of data. Especially in the older days when tape drives did
 not support the FAST BLOCK LOCATE cmd.

 The ability to be able to detect multiple filemarks will be critical
 for correct tape drive emulation.

 Re: Fixed block:
 How do you compute the block size ?

 From my quick review of the code, I did not see any reference to the
 MODE SELECT/MODE SENSE commands and the BLOCK LENGTH field. i.e. No
 way for a backup program to set / query the block size. (except the
 READ BLOCK LIMITS).

 Re: Block under/over run detection.
 This is only a requirement for variable block READ - so fixed block
we are safe.

 Cheers
 Mark

 On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 1:26 AM, aftab azmi <max_aftab at yahoo.com> wrote:
 > Actually i couldnt find any value for file mark so i choose ascii
code 28(file separator) as filemark.i guess it will not be present in
any user file so will not produce false positive...

 >  I have assummed fixed block write..i forgot to include check for
the FIXED bit in read and write command..

 >  For variable block write i think we have to use your
structure...for underrun we can compare the blk_size in blk_header
against the MINIMUM BLOCK LENGTH LIMIT field in READ BLOCK LIMITS data
and for overrun we can compare blk_size and MAXIMUM BLOCK LENGTH
LIMIT.

Library....I have implemented all the mandatory commands mentioned in
ssc-r42  except  erase command.....
we have it on http://in.promos.yahoo.com/groups/bestofyahoo/