[Stgt-devel] Store persistent media data in extended attributes?

ronnie sahlberg ronniesahlberg
Sat May 3 08:23:56 CEST 2008

Cool.

How far is you ssc?  can one do basic i/o with say mt with it?

While SSC is very different,
in MMC I would like to be able to store things like a barcode,
serialnumber, and other MAM and MAM-like data  attached to the backing
store file.
I want it to be stored in a was so that this data is "attached" to the
file that contains the actual image of the media.
I dont want to use separate files to store the metadata, so extended
attributes would be a nice way to associate the metadata with the
actual data.

In MMC I think it would also have value if the actual file itself,
reading all data from position 0 to the end of file would be an
identical image of the data
of the disk itself.  I.e. the file content IS the actual .ISO of the
disk.  Which would allow such files holding a STGT MMC backingstore
to be mountable as
a ISO9660 filesystem through loopback   and also be immediately
compatible and work with the myriad of "Virtual/Phantom DVD Drive"
applications
and drivers on other systems.
This compatibility would fail for me if I store metadata at the
beginning of the file.
(Yeah, you can mount the file as an .ISO   but you have to strip off
the first xMByte of the file first :-(   compared to "the file is just
a normal .ISO image so its compatible with anything under the sun (but
it also has some invisible extra metadata stored at the side)". )

This, desire to be compatible with other apps that expect a file to be
a raw .ISO image  would of course not exist for SSC.  So my desire in
how to implement
this metadata store is different from yours.

While SSC constraints probably forces you to embedd at least some
metadata intermixed with the actual data (by the way is there even
such a thing that could conceptually be described as a "raw" tape
image anyway? :-) )
Some of the SSC metadata wouldnt make sense to split out from the file
data, other metadata is probably impossible to split out from the file
data.

But,  some metadata, such as serial number and barcode's could be.
It would be great if we could store some of this metadata in a way
that is consistent across all device types SSC MMC and others   so we
can share code and implementation.

got to run ...

regards
ronnie sahlberg