[Stgt-devel] Store persistent media data in extended attributes?

ronnie sahlberg ronniesahlberg
Tue May 6 08:06:43 CEST 2008

I think that for MMC there is very little metadata that would be nice to have.
I think MMC could benefit from storing (feature 0x0109) MediaSerialNumber
maybe also barcode (if used with SMC as a dvd jukebox) and possibly other
MAM attributes as well.

I think none of these are that important really (a lot of DVD players
can not return feature 0x0109 anyway :-) )

It would be nice to store MediaSerialNumber and also a Barcode
together with the "image" file for MMC.
I dont know how much other MAM data that applications using a MMC
jukebox expects/require for the jukebox functionality to work.

Since "iso image" is a "standard/common" fileformat for storing
"images of CD/DVD disks" and a lot of tools exist for using
such iso images,   I think it would be attractive if our "images" were
compatible, which kind of requires that we do not store this metadata
in the filedata itself.
Extended attributes would be one possible avenue to store this
metadata without "polluting" hte data and make us incompatible.

SSC is different.
First it likely requires a LOT of metadata. Second, I dont think there
is a de-facto standard   or tools   to operate on a "raw-tape-image"
anyway
so there shouldnt be anything that the images have to be compatible
with in the first place.

The biggest question for "how much metadata does MMC need" would
probably be when combined with SMC into a jukebox.
I have no idea how much/what metadata that a jukebox controller
program wants/needs to be happy.