[stgt] sg-based backing store

Alexander Nezhinsky nezhinsky at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 14:34:19 CEST 2008

Hi,

I have a question. Once there had been a backing-store implementation
based on the SG driver, which was subsequently removed from git.
I found only vague remarks that it was "broken".
Could you explain me what was wrong with it?

I've played with my own implementation which is similar to the one
that'd been removed (not like the "bs_pt" patch).
I tested it against scsi storage (FC) and saw quite a nice performance
boost (50-100MBps bandwidth) with iSER/IB.
These figures are raw yet, just as my implementation is preliminary,
but before proceeding, I'd like to know what was the inherent problem with
the sg-based bs that forced its removal.

Thanx,
Alexander Nezhinsky