[stgt] make initiators "rescan" the device?

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Thu Oct 30 07:55:12 CET 2008

FUJITA Tomonori schrieb:
> On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 12:26:58 +0100
> Tomasz Chmielewski <mangoo at wpkg.org> wrote:
>
>> Sometimes, I need to resize the device on the target.
>>
>> Technically, I do this as follows:
>>
>> lvextend -L+5G /dev/san14/blah1
>> tgt-admin --update tid=20 -v -f
>
> What does exactly 'tgt-admin --update tid=20 -v -f' do? Please explain
> what tgtadm operations are performed. Please do so at all times (hint:
> I don't understand how tgt-admin works).

Basically, it disconnects all initiators, removes the target, and adds
it again. Removing the lun and adding it again would be enough, as you
also write below.

> Well, unless you delete a logical unit and add it again, tgtd doesn't
> know the new size. So probably, we need to a new interface to notify
> tgtd of the change.
>

>> However, the initiators won't see the change unless we "rescan" the
>> device, i.e.:
>>
>> echo 1 > /sys/block/sdah/device/rescan
>
> Unless you use 2.6.28-rc kernel, it doesn't work, I think.

It works for me with 2.6.18 kernels.

>> This is a boring thing to do when we have more initiators connected to
>> that target.
>> Also, the initiators will likely have a different device used for that
>> target (/sys/block/<DEVICE>/device/rescan), making the thing even more
>> boring.
>>

>> Is it possible to send a reset/rescan to all initiators connected to a
>> given target, which would trigger the initiator to rescan the device
>> (and its size)?
>
> A scsi device can notify initiators of such event via UA (unit
> attention), google "CAPACITY DATA HAS CHANGED". tgt has the mechanism
> to handle UA so it's easy to support it. However, on the initiator
> side, Linux doesn't detect such event automatically.

I see.
So let's just hope Linux will detect such events one day ;)

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org