[stgt] On roadmap and release of stgt future development

rae l crquan at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 20:48:36 CEST 2008

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 11:34 PM, FUJITA Tomonori
<fujita.tomonori at lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:
>> Tomasz told me offline that X.X.X style version is important for some
>> cases. I'm not sure about it but I have no strong reason against

I think all distributors will more like X.X.X, just like the bug on bugs.gentoo,

>> releasing X.X.X (I'm just too lazy to do that).
>>
>> So anyone is against releasing stgt-1.0.0 now? We should use a beta
>> version something like 0.9.0 yet?
>
> On second thought, it migth be better to implement Persistent Reserve
> before 1.0.0.

I suggest something like systemtap:

It has formal releases after some important features implemented:

  http://sourceware.org/systemtap/ftp/releases/

and has a preview snapshot tarball every week,

  http://sourceware.org/systemtap/ftp/snapshots/

its upstream SCM is also git, the author use `git tag` to tag a formal
x.y.z release,
and `git archive` to generate the tarball, it's very convenient.

stgt is very similar like it, so I suggest you release a formal 1.0.0 after an
important feature implemented,

Of course, you can now release it as 0.9.0

And really you can do a simple roadmap, just attach each important feature
to a major version, as VTL to 1.0, yyy to 1.1, zzz to 1.2,
Distributors will be happier about this type of upstream.

--
Denis Cheng
Linux Application Developer

 - Ken Thompson.