[stgt] can't force-remove targets

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Tue Apr 28 10:48:21 CEST 2009

Tomasz Chmielewski schrieb:
> Sometimes (90% of cases), I can't force-remove targets (needed i.e. when
> I want to update tgtd).

(...)

> # This target fails
> tgtadm --op delete --mode conn --tid 16 --sid 11 --cid 0
> tgtadm --mode target --op delete --tid=16
> tgtadm: this target unit is still active
>
> (Command: tgtadm --mode target --op delete --tid=16
> exited with code: 22.)
>
> Any idea why this happens? Currently, with 0.9.6, but happened also at
> least with 0.9.4 and 0.9.5, and perhaps earlier.

Am I the only one to see this problem?

Or, am I the only one upgrading tgt version running on my servers? ;)

If you're not sure how to reproduce it, you can do (with some initiators
connected, doing reads/writes):

1) /etc/init.d/tgt forcedstop

or, seeing more details:

2) (may fail somewhere on the 3rd command)

tgtadm --op update --mode sys --name State -v offline
tgt-admin --offline ALL -v
tgt-admin --update ALL -c /dev/null -f -v
tgtadm --op delete --mode system

It will print all tgtadm commands used; will exit if there was an error.

Note that stopping the target like this may cause data corruption on
your initiators, depending on your initiator timeouts.

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org