[stgt] Strange sendtargets behaviour

Chris Webb chris at arachsys.com
Thu Aug 27 09:43:34 CEST 2009

FUJITA Tomonori <fujita.tomonori at lab.ntt.co.jp> writes:

> On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 21:56:24 +0100
> Chris Webb <chris at arachsys.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm seeing an odd behaviour from sendtargets discovery from open-iscsi to
> > tgt. We're running open-iscsi 2.0-871 against a remote linux tgt 0.9.7.
> > discovery.sendtargets.iscsi.MaxRecvDataSegmentLength is set to 262144 to
>
> discovery.sendtargets.iscsi.MaxRecvDataSegmentLength is open-iscsi's
> parameter, right?

That's right, yes: it needs to be set large as tgtd uses it as a cap on
sendtargets output and we don't want to truncate the this at a small number
of targets.

> What content exactly open-iscsi got when you saw such error message?

I'm afraid that the problem occurred on one of our live clusters where
debugging was hard and I haven't yet reproduced the bug in a VM with both
iscsiadm and tgtd under gdb, but once I do, I'll be able to post the detail
here.

Just reading the iscsiadm code and comparing with its output, it looks to me
like about 55 targets were sent across fine, but then a target with a valid
hostname but a corrupted port (which wasn't a number) which stopped the
discovery in its tracks.

Best wishes,

Chris.