[stgt] Crash tgtd and tgtadm with more than 112 volumes.

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Wed Mar 11 00:48:09 CET 2009

FUJITA Tomonori wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 15:34:08 -0700
> Ben Greear <greearb at candelatech.com> wrote:
>
>> I wrote a script to create lots of iscsi volumes on loop devices.
>>
>> Seems to run fine up to 111, and then tgtd crashes and tgtadm
>> gets a buffer overflow.
>>
>> The script I used to create the problem and a capture of the
>> crash is attached.
>>
>> I'm using standard RPMs on Fedora 10, kernel
>> Linux iSCSi-test 2.6.27.15-170.2.24.fc10.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Feb 11 23:14:31 EST 2009 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>>
>> Let me know if I can provide any additional info.
>
> Your subject gave me an impression that you are creating lots of
> logical units with one target but looks like you are trying to create
> lots of targets with a single logical unit, right?

I'm new to iscsi, so not so sure of my terminology, but I think
you have it correct.  I'm working on a test tool that uses open-iscsi
to mount lots of volumes on a single machine, to be used to load-test
iscsi target systems.  I was using tgtd as the iscsi target for
testing my initiator setup.

> We use pthread and glibc has the limit of the number of
> pthreads. Looks like you hit it. I guess that tgt also has a bug (tgt
> should handle pthread creation failure or something properly) though.

Looks like you can have many more, if this is accurate, and that's
from 2004:
http://forum.soft32.com/linux2/Thread-count-limit-ftopict14647.html

Thanks,
Ben