[stgt] backingstore and tape configuration

Albert Pauw albert.pauw at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 20:58:33 CEST 2009

Just a simple question:

How do I configure a tape drive target?

Currently, the way I do it is like this:

tgtadm --lld iscsi --mode logicalunit --op new --tid 1 --lun 1 -b
/root/tapes/notape --device-type tape
tgtadm --lld iscsi --mode logicalunit --op update --tid 1 --lun 1
--params vendor_id=HP,product_id="LTO3
ULTRIUM",product_rev=0001,scsi_sn=012345678,scsi_id="HP LTO3
ULTRIUM",removable=1

I have to use a dummy tape (a tgtimg tape image with size 0) as I need a
backingstore (I get an error otherwise),
called in my case notape.

Obviously, the mt command output shows that there is a tape in the drive:

[root at orange ~]# mt -f /dev/nst0 status
SCSI 2 tape drive:
File number=0, block number=0, partition=0.
Tape block size 0 bytes. Density code 0x0 (default).
Soft error count since last status=0
General status bits on (41010000):
  BOT ONLINE IM_REP_EN

Having ejected this dummy tape obviously gives the thing I want, an
empty tape drive:

[root at orange ~]# mt -f /dev/nst0 status
SCSI 2 tape drive:
File number=-1, block number=-1, partition=0.
Tape block size 0 bytes. Density code 0x0 (default).
Soft error count since last status=0
General status bits on (50000):
  DR_OPEN IM_REP_EN

So, is there a way to define an empty tape drive without using a dummy tape?

Thanks,

Albert