[stgt] tgt for Debian (was Re: [GIT PULL] Proposal for build system makeover)

FUJITA Tomonori fujita.tomonori at lab.ntt.co.jp
Thu Oct 1 09:51:21 CEST 2009

On Thu, 01 Oct 2009 09:30:56 +0200
Florian Haas <florian.haas at linbit.com> wrote:

> > First, Debian has tgt package:
> >
> > http://packages.debian.org/sid/tgt
> >

> > (it's quite old though, I guess that they still use IET)
>
> And for that reason it hasn't even made it into testing, let alone
> stable, and I don't see Debian going anywhere from IET (as their default
> iSCSI target implementation) anytime soon. Frederik, feel free to share
> if you are aware of anything different.

tgt is iSCSI software supported by RHEL5 and used in production (as
IET is). Any reason why they still use IET?

Well, anyway, that's not the point. Even if we are not sure when
Debian includes tgt, it's not the right thing to make things difficult
for other distributions.

> > Secondary, Debian init script is written in their own way. So your
> > init script doesn't work. If you change Makefile to install your init
> > script, Debian packaging can't use Makefile; Debian packaging needs a
> > diff against Makefile.
>
> Any valid arguments against providing a Debian compatible init script? I
> fail to follow the idea of "this particular init script doesn't run on
> all platforms under the sun, thus it's better to not include one at
> all". There's plenty of projects out there that provide one init script
> for fully LSB compliant platforms and one for Debian.

- I can't find /etc/init.d/functions on my box.

- I can't find /etc/sysyconfig/ on my lenny box.

- I can't find 'daemon' program on my box. Debian uses
  start-stop-daemon, I guess.

It's not just about LSB. An init script that can run on any
distributions is not realistic.