[stgt] targets.conf problem, setting up tape drives

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Mon Oct 26 16:57:04 CET 2009

Albert Pauw wrote:
> On 10/26/2009 04:27 PM, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
>>
>>> Looking at it using wireshark I can see that the Login Command is
>>> generated every 17-18 seconds,
>>> even after the mtx command had failed.
>>>
>>> So there seems to be something weirdly configured this way, compared
>>> to the "manually" created
>>> device with a script.
>>
>> Did you compare the tgtadm commands generated with your config, and
>> the ones you used before?
>>
> One thing I noticed, is that the changer is defined before the (in my
> case) three tape drives.
> One of the configuration options for the changer is a reference to the
> tape drives using the lun number:

Not sure what you mean here.

In the vtl script you sent me, you had the devices created exactly in the same order as it is generated with tgt-admin, i.e.:

tgtadm --lld iscsi --op new --mode target --tid 4 -T iqn.2008-09.com.example:server.tape
tgtadm --lld iscsi --op new --mode logicalunit --tid 4 --lun 1 -b /root/tapes/notape1 --device-type tape
# options here...
tgtadm --lld iscsi --op new --mode logicalunit --tid 4 --lun 2 -b /root/tapes/notape2 --device-type tape
# options here...
tgtadm --lld iscsi --op new --mode logicalunit --tid 4 --lun 3 -b /root/tapes/notape3 --device-type tape
# options here...
tgtadm --lld iscsi --op new --mode logicalunit --tid 4 --lun 4 -b /root/smc --device-type changer
# options here...

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org