[stgt] tgt-admin and a -C, --control-port argument

ronnie sahlberg ronniesahlberg at gmail.com
Fri Apr 2 23:16:29 CEST 2010

On Sat, Apr 3, 2010 at 4:05 AM, Chandra Seetharaman <sekharan at us.ibm.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2010-04-02 at 10:34 +0900, FUJITA Tomonori wrote:
>> On Thu, 01 Apr 2010 18:25:02 -0700

> The purpose of defining a control port (from iSCSI usage point of view)
> is to have a tgtd control port serving targets defined with specific ip
> address.
>
> My question was from that context. i.e will there be multiple iscsi
> portals associated with a single tgtd control port.

I think we are mixing two different topics here.
The control port is just a domain socket to talk to one particular
instance of tgtd, in the case where there might be multiple
versions running at the same time.

With regards to iSCSI, tgtd today uses one single TCP/IP socket for
initiator connections.
This socket defaults to bind to INADDR_ANY and thus makes tgtd listen
on all addresses.

Optionally tgtd can be bound to a specific address using --iscsi
portal=192.0.2.1:3260
But tgtd is still only using one TCP/IP socket for incoming initiator
connections.

What I think Chandra is asking about is if we plan to or want to make
tgtd listen on several addresses at once.
Right now tgtd can listen on one address, or on all addresses.

Listening on several addresses I guess would look something like this
for iscsi :
 --iscsi portal=192.0.2.1:3260,198.51.100.1:3260

Making tgtd listen on two addresses.

This would probably require some minor changes in the setup and
eventhandling since tgtd would now have to listen on two, or more,
sockets instead of one for iscsi.

So a question is, would something like this be useful
--iscsi portal=192.0.2.1:3260,198.51.100.1:3260

regards
ronnie sahlberg