[stgt] tgt-admin and a -C, --control-port argument

Steven Wertheimer steven.wertheimer at oracle.com
Thu Apr 8 18:06:26 CEST 2010

I am running tests between two systems:

iSCSI server: 4 CPU, 6GB RAM, 6x146GB SAS HDD
iSCSI client: 8 CPU, 16GB RAM

Both systems are on the same 10GbE subnet.
Both run Linux kernel 2.6.18, RHEL 5.3.
I am using version 1.0.3 of the scsi target utilities. I downloaded it from
stgt.sourceforge.net and built it, because the one that came with the
machines didn't support the --control-port option I needed to manage
multiple tgtd processes.

I tested two different configurations for mounting the 6 drives on the
client.

First, I used one tgtd process, serving 6 LUNs, each being one of the
drives.
The client uses iscsiadm to discover this host:port and finds all 6 luns.
I now have 6 devices on the client, /dev/sd[a-f]. I spawn 6 simultaneous
dd processes on the client, each writing to one of the devices using
/dev/zero
as input. Looking at the server with sar, I see that each disk is
getting about
35MB/sec writes, and not coming close to being saturated (as shown by the
%util column of sar -d). The cpu where tgtd is running shows consistently
zero idle time, low user time, low I/O wait time, and high system time.
I did not try to instrument tgtd to see exactly what it is doing,
but my guess is that it is spending most if its time servicing the network.
The other three CPUs show very high idle times. The aggregate CPU
idle time in the system is about 50%.

The second test is the same as the first, except that I now use 6 tgtd
processes, one per disk, each listening on a separate port. In this test,
each disk is getting about 60MB/sec writes, and all are showing 100%
saturation. All four CPUs are now running at nearly 0% idle and the
aggregate CPU idle time in the system is about 0%. 60MB/sec is about
the maximum I get from these disks when writing to them using local
non-networked I/O.

It should be noted that the client system spawns just one set of
scsi_eq/scsi_wh processes in the first case, and six in the second.
I don't know what those processes do, but they never show up in
the CPU reports, so they do not seem to be a bottleneck in either
test. The CPU usage on the client in both of the tests is very similar,
running almost 50% idle, and dominated by the dd and pdflush
processes.

As I said, I have not instrumented tgtd, but it seems pretty clear that
one tgtd process becomes CPU-bound and is unable to do enough
local I/O to saturate all of the disks. I'm happy to instrument and re-run
if that would help.

Regards

--
Steve