[stgt] Write-cache in tgtd during a target-host crash

Mike Anderson andmike at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Wed Apr 21 23:44:13 CEST 2010

Chandra Seetharaman <sekharan at us.ibm.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2010-04-21 at 19:51 +1000, ronnie sahlberg wrote:
> >

> > Tomo, would a patch that allows setting the O_DIRECT/O_SYNC flags on
> > the command line when invoking tgtd be acceptable?
> >

> > tgtd -o O_SYNC     tgtd -o O_DIRECT      tgtd -o O_SYNC|O_DIRECT
> >

> > The appropriate flags in the caching mode page could be intercepted
> > and use to toggle these fd settings.
> >
> > My filesystem of choice would likely benefit greatly from O_DIRECT.
>
> I see the feature being useful.
>
> But, I would associate this to be a characteristic of the backing store
> than set it globally at tgtd (or we can have a it at global(read tgtd
> level) and ability to revert it at the backing store).

If we associate the open flags to the backing store would we want to allow
full control of the open flags or just setting a subset of flags.

I hacked up tgtadm and a few of the target.c functions for the examples below.

./tgtadm --lld iscsi --op new --mode logicalunit --tid 1 --lun 1 -b /disk1
--bsoflags "O_RDWR| O_LARGEFILE | O_DIRECT" --device-type disk

or

tgtadm --op update --mode logicalunit --tid 1 --lun 1 --params bsoflags="O_RDWR| O_LARGEFILE | O_DIRECT"

./tgtadm --op show --mode target
      LUN: 1
            Type: disk
            SCSI ID: IET     00010001
            SCSI SN: beaf11
            Size: 105 MB
            Online: Yes
            Removable media: No
            Backing store type: rdwr
            Backing store flags: O_RDWR | O_LARGEFILE | O_DIRECT
            Backing store path: /disk1

-andmike
--
Michael Anderson