[stgt] iSER data corruption

FUJITA Tomonori fujita.tomonori at lab.ntt.co.jp
Fri Aug 27 02:41:59 CEST 2010

On Sun, 22 Aug 2010 03:35:39 -0400
Matthew Chan <talcite at gmail.com> wrote:

>   Hi,
>
> I'm experiencing what I think is data corruption issues when using the
> iSER driver in CERN SLC5.5 (which is based directly off RHEL 5.5).
>
> I just set up stgt with the iSER driver on a mellanox infiniband mesh
> with 7 nodes in it. I was having problems with my OCFS2 cluster crashing
> randomly on large data writes, so I simplified it down to 1 initiator
> and 1 target and an ext4 partition.
>
> The backing store is a 5 TB linux raid 6 softraid, running on SLC 5.5.
> The initiators are running open-iscsi on Ubuntu Server 10.04. I'm using
> the OFED packages from each respective distro.
>
> On my test setup with 1 target and 1 initiator, copying files with
>
> 'dd if=/dev/zero of=/<ext4 array>/zeroes bs=64k count=10000'
>
> generated a whole slew of ext4 errors on the initiator. A subsequent
> fsck.ext4 showed thousands of inode errors. Trying to transfer a file
> with cp generated similar errors.
>
> Are there any known quirks with the iSER driver, or am I misconfiguring
> something? My infiniband connection seems quite stable, and I'm using
> ipoib quite heavily right now.

Some people have reported problems with the iSER driver.

Alexander submitted the completely new implementation:

http://lists.wpkg.org/pipermail/stgt/2010-July/003868.html

Can you try it?

git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tomo/tgt.git iser

I've not merged it yet but probably I'll do. It would be greatly
appreciated if you could test the new driver.