[stgt] CHAP doesn't work as expected ?! Or user error :) ?

FUJITA Tomonori fujita.tomonori at lab.ntt.co.jp
Thu Feb 18 02:19:10 CET 2010

On Wed, 17 Feb 2010 10:48:21 -0800
Chandra Seetharaman <sekharan at us.ibm.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2010-02-17 at 14:13 +0900, FUJITA Tomonori wrote:
> > Seems that stgt at vger.kernel.org dropped this mail due to attachment.
> >
> > On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 10:47:11 -0800
> > Chandra Seetharaman <sekharan at us.ibm.com> wrote:

> > > Discovery session.
> >
> > Ah, stgt doesn't support Discovery session authentication (like IET).
>
> Oh I see...
>
> But, when I disabled discovery authentication in open-iscsi and try to
> connect to my stgt targets, it connect, but I do not see any CHAP
> protocol exchanges (in the log of open-iscsi), that I see with Netapp
> target.

Yeah, tgtd doesn't start any CHAP protocol exchanges for discovery
sessions.

> OTOH, when I change the password (at the open-scsi end) to be different
> (than what was defined at tgtd target) it fails. Which makes me think
> that the password verification does happen.

How can you define a password at the tgtd target? You can't define
passwords for discovery sessions with tgt.

I guess that you define passwords for normal sessions and the
authentication for a normal session failed?

> My question is why am I not seeing CHAP_A, CHAP_A/CHAP_/I/CHAP_C, ...
> exchange in case of stgt target ? Any ideas ?

If you can't see CHAP for normal sessions, probably you don't
configure open-iscsi and tgt properly. If you can't see CHAP for
normal discovery session, it's the expected behavior.

> > Do you need this feature? If so, I can implement it (some time this
> > month probably).
>
> That will be great.

Ok, I take care of that.