[stgt] Have some questions w.r.t iSNS implementation in stgt

Chandra Seetharaman sekharan at us.ibm.com
Sat Jul 31 04:33:07 CEST 2010

Hi All,

Here are some questions that came up in my mind while going through the
iSNS code in stgt. If somebody can answer these it will be of great
help. I can help fixing them if they are incorrect.

1. What is the purpose of isns_timeout_fn() ? We send a
isns_attr_query() to the iSNS server (every 30 second) on the last
defined target and just dump the server's response on the floor. Why do
it ?

2. isns_connect() is called from multiple places. Why can't we call it
at the init time once and remove the redundant calling of it at multiple
places.

3. iSNS has to be turned on before any targets are defined. If I turn on
iSNS after defining the target, if I turn on iSNS the targets that are
already defined are not registered with the server. Is it intentional,
are there any problems in registering all the defined targets ?

4. Code prevents iSNS from being turned Off once turned On. Why ?

5. Why a isns_attr_query(target_name) is made to the server after a
target is registered (isns_target_register()).

Thanks in advance,

chandra