[stgt] cluster support (the next major feature)

FUJITA Tomonori fujita.tomonori at lab.ntt.co.jp
Wed Jun 9 04:42:50 CEST 2010

I've been thinking about adding the feature to build a stgt cluster. I
want to build a storage system like Lefthand [1] or PeerStorage [2]
with stgt.

- The cluster consists of several nodes. Each node runs stgt.

- One of the nodes has a virtual cluster IP address (if the node
  crashes, another node takes over the address).

- Initiators always connect to the virtual cluster IP, then are
  redirected to one of the nodes (thanks to iSCSI).

- stgt stores the data in several nodes.

- No single point of failure.

- you can scale the capacity by adding a new node to the cluster.

I know that to achieve the above, stgt might use "cloud
infrastructure" such as hail[3], zookeeper and hdfs, etc. However, I
need the solution now. It takes long time since we have such code in
various distributions (especially, enterprise distributions).

I plan to use corosync for node management and Berkeley DB
(replication feature) for metadata. Both is mature and shipped with
major distributions. They don't scale with hundreds nodes though.

I did the similar things (and more) in Sheepdog project[4]. I want to
do less ambitiously and more quickly with the existing protocol
(iSCSI).

Opinions? The existing options?

[1] http://h18006.www1.hp.com/storage/highlights/lefthandsans.html
[2] http://www.equallogic.com/