[stgt] iSNSServerIP and targets.conf

FUJITA Tomonori fujita.tomonori at lab.ntt.co.jp
Tue Mar 30 02:59:02 CEST 2010

On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 13:40:38 -0500
Mike Christie <michaelc at cs.wisc.edu> wrote:

> On 03/24/2010 08:09 AM, FUJITA Tomonori wrote:
> > On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 12:48:03 +0100
> > Tomasz Chmielewski<mangoo at wpkg.org>  wrote:

> >> Looks iSNSServerIP will be updated each time with commands above.
> >
> > Yeah, we have the only one iSNS server.
> >
> > Mike, do we need to support multiple iSNS servers? I completely forgot
> > about iSNS stuff. :)
>
> I do not know. There is a section on backup isns servers in the rfc, but
> I do not think any of it is required and I am not sure any isns server
> really supports it well. People are probably adding redundancy at a
> higher level and not relying on the isns clients/servers to handle it.
>
> If it is a lot of work, I would not waste time on it. For open-iscsi I
> added the ability to support multiple servers but then I found that I
> could not find any targets that support more than one and I could not
> find any servers that support the stuff in rfc4171#section-2.7 out of
> the box.
>
> So for open-iscsi you can basically just do discovery to multiple
> servers and get scns from multiple servers, but there is no support for
> handling failing over from one server to another.

Thanks. Seems that we can wait until someone shout to us to implement
that feature. If we choose the format of targets.conf that can handle
multiple iSNS servers, then we should be fine.

iSNS stuff is not the target attribute so seems that we need something
like

<global iscsi>
  iSNSServerIP
</global>