[stgt] [BUG] Tgt-1.0.8 exited unexpectedly

Hirokazu Takahashi taka at valinux.co.jp
Fri Oct 1 07:19:25 CEST 2010

Hi,

> > > I'm not sure the modern SATA disk can detect such failure.
> >
> > I think the modern SATA disk has this feature while the IDE disk doesn't
> > have.
>
> Do you have any pointer?

This may help you:
http://www.seagate.com/content/pdf/whitepaper/SerialATA_comparison_UATA_Technology.pdf
It says serial ATA adds 32-bit CRC error correction for all bits transmitted,
as opposed to only data packets in Ultra ATA.
And it is known that each sector of modern disks has extra bits for ECCs to
correct errors.

I think you can find the details in the specification of serial ATA if you
have a right to access it.

> > > How Vastsky stores the information of the group?
> >
> > Actually Vastsky has a meta data node. When the structure of a logical
> > volume has changed, the meta data related to the volume on the meta
> > data node is updated. The meta data is cached at the node that uses
> > the volume.
>
> How can Vastsky handle the failure of the meta data node?

Vastsky currently leaves this issue to users, since Vastsky is supposed
to work as a part of a large system such as a cloud computing system,
which may already have some kind of high-availability solution.
But I think Vastsky should support some APIs to help make a meta data
node or the meta data itself redundant easier.

Thank you,
Hirokazu Takahashi.