[stgt] [BUG] Tgt-1.0.8 exited unexpectedly

Hirokazu Takahashi taka at valinux.co.jp
Sat Oct 2 16:20:29 CEST 2010

Hello,

> > > Hmm, this isn't same as what SCSI DIF (and enterprise storage) does to
> > > prevent silient data corruption. This handles only transmission
> > > corruption. So there is still a good chance that silient data
> > > corruption could happen.
> > >
> > > SCSI DIF and enterprise storage maintain extra bytes per sector for
> > > checksumming to prevent silient data corruption.
> >
> > I guess SCSI DIF is a feature which adds extra bytes to each sector
> > and its protocol allows software to control them.
>
> Kinda.
>

> > I think each sector has another extra field which SCSI or SATA drives
> > internally use to correct errors.
>
> Can you provide a pointer to the info that SATA drives internally keep
> extra bytes per sector for error correction?
>
> That's what I asked you in the previous mail.

How about this document?
http://www.serialata.org/documents/S2Ext_1_2_Gold.pdf
This isn't the final one but section 4.7.2 will be informative.

The following page is also helpful. It tells why they want to introduce
4kb sector.
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/storage/are-you-ready-for-4k-sector-drives/731

I guess the way of correcting error is out of the specification of SATA
because the specification just define the interface.

Thanks,
Hirokazu Takahashi.