[stgt] tgtd memory usage

Neil Skrypuch neil at pollstream.com
Tue Apr 5 17:49:15 CEST 2011

On April 4, 2011 8:05:16 pm FUJITA Tomonori wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Apr 2011 17:44:03 +0300
>
> Or Gerlitz <ogerlitz at mellanox.com> wrote:
> > FUJITA Tomonori wrote:
> > > Yeah, this patch uses 16 global threads instead of creating 4 threads
> > > per lun. Needs some cleanups though.
> >
> > Do we know why there's per thread memory consumption of 10MB?
>
> Seems that about 10MB VSZ per pthread is normal. Try some experiment
> with simple pthread code.

FWIW, VSZ is not a good measure of memory usage (that memory is not
necessarily in use). RES is what you want to look at.

I have a process here with 5000 threads, the VSZ is 78.6g, but RES is only
284m. Needless to say, this machine doesn't have anywhere close to 78G of RAM
+ swap, but runs this process just fine.

To the original poster: more likely you ran out of file descriptors and the
error message is just deceptive. The default per process fd limit is 1024 (2
fds per thread = ~500). Try ulimit -n 20000, then restart tgtd in the same
shell.

- Neil