[stgt] Frequent coredump of tgtd under Centos 6.0

Andy Grover agrover at redhat.com
Mon Dec 5 00:31:04 CET 2011

On 12/04/2011 07:49 AM, John Pletka wrote:
> What is the latest version of scsi-target-utils supported on CentOS6?

Supported by whom?

> The rpm build has a GLIBC_2.14 dependency, and the latest glibc on
> CentOS is glibc-2.12-1.7.  I'd prefer not to upgrade glibc since that
> could open a whole new set of problems.
>
> The rpmbuild --rebuild of the source results in:
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/rpmbuild/BUILD/fujita-tgt-3e216c9/usr'
> error: Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.a6iIYD (%build)

I just built 1.0.22 last night for rawhide and it built ok -- was there
an error prior to that message? I'd guess you're missing build dependencies.

> On a slightly related note:  What is the preferred distribution for
> running tgtd?  My whole infrastructure is CentOS, but this box will be
> a dedicated file server doing nothing but ISCSI and NFS shares.  Would
> you recommend ditching CentOS for this and just install the latest
> Fedora?  This is a production server so I've avoided Fedora in the
> past, but since this is a dedicated NAS, and Fedora gets the lastest
> tgtd, it might be time to change.

You're asking me, personally?

I think you should pony up for RHEL, duh. If you're comfortable running
a production server on Fedora (not recommended) then at least I can
repro issues there as well.

SuSE, Oracle, and Canonical all also offer supported stable distros that
you may want to consider. Or Google "centos support".

This list is for upstream development of tgt, and IMHO it's not fair to
rely on it for distro-specific packaging issues, or anything that is not
reproducible in the latest released version.

Regards -- Andy