[stgt] authentication by initiator's name

Shuko Yasumoto yasumoto.shuko at jp.fujitsu.com
Fri Jun 17 08:17:34 CEST 2011

Hi,

Thank you for your response.

> I think that malicious users can forge initiator names. How this
> feature can be useful?

I understand that initiator names can be changed easily so security
of this feature might poor than IP authentication.
But the case " malicious users can forge initiator names " can protect
by combination with CHAP authentication and my idea is providing this
feature in addition to IP authentication.

I think the usage of this feature is same as IP authentication
but there is only difference in the following usage.

Usage  : There is a server which has multiple NICs, user must check
         which IP is connected to targets and then register one IP
         to targets.
         If this feature is available, user just register an initiator
         name instead.
         Based on RFC 3721, I think initiator name is useful for this
         purpose.
         ===
         An iSCSI Name is a location-independent, permanent identifier for
         an iSCSI node.  An iSCSI node has one iSCSI name, which stays
         constant for the life of the node.  The terms "initiator name"
         and "target name" also refer to an iSCSI name.
         ===

Background for this proposal is:
- Above usage.
- Many storage vendors use the feature, authentication by initiator name.

I highly appreciate if you give me comments on this.

Best Regards,
Hisashi Osanai (from coleague's email)