[stgt] how to setup a virtual tape using scsi-target-utils?

ronnie sahlberg ronniesahlberg at gmail.com
Sat Jul 14 01:08:27 CEST 2012

Hi,

If you just want to create a tape drive with a tape loaded, these
commands should work :

# create a blank tape
tgtimg --op new --device-type tape --barcode 12345 --size 100 --type
data --file /data/tape001.img

# create a target
tgtadm --lld iscsi --op new --mode target --tid 1 -T iqn.ronnie.test

# create a SSC LUN for with the blank tape above loaded into the device
tgtadm --lld iscsi --mode logicalunit --op new --tid 1 --lun 1 -b
/data/tape001.img --device-type=tape

# set up access control so anyone/everyone can use the LUN
tgtadm --lld iscsi --op bind --mode target --tid 1 -I ALL

This will create a virtual tape drive with a virtual tape loaded into it.

If you want to create a full VTL with lots of different tapes and
mediachanger devices  there are examples on how to create a
media jukebox for emulated CDROM devices in the manpage for tgtadm.
That example should easy to modify to apply to tapes instead of CDROM.

regards
ronnie sahlberg