[stgt] Why LUN0?

Braun, David David.Braun at drs.com
Thu Nov 29 15:27:47 CET 2012

I took a (quick) look at RFC-3720 and RFC-5048. 5048 states that "the
SCSI REPORT LUNS command requests a target SCSI layer" to provide an
inventory of LUNs. This tells me that the REPORT LUNS command really is
LUN-less (the value in the LUN field of the CDB is ignored). I don't
have copies of the SCSI specs to verify this.

If my interpretation is correct then TGTD needs to process these
LUN-less requests at the target level without descending into its LUN
command processing code. (forgive me if my terminology is incorrect -
feel free to correct)

BTW - my feeble memory recalls watching SCSI bus controllers (the
hardware type) polling for devices on start-up (via BIOS extensions?).
With the hardware type controllers this took some time but wasn't huge
and only needed to be done once (I have no experience with removable
LUNs if such exist).

Dave