[stgt] how to set VPD page 83 (Device Identification) using pacemaker

Doug Clow doug.clow at dashbox.com
Mon May 6 22:27:58 CEST 2013

Hi Alexander,

I have that info now from mounting a Windows iSCSI target on both Windows and CentOS.  Mounted on Windows the VPD information shown is:

VPD Page 83h Identifier
60003FF44DC75ADC95073BAE3FB24DA5

VPD Serial Number
0A1C3A57-5117-425A-9507-3BAE3FB24DA5

And then the result of the query you mentioned when mounted on CentOS is this:

[root at iscsi1 iscsi]# sg_inq --vpd --page=0x83 /dev/sdc
VPD INQUIRY: Device Identification page
  Designation descriptor number 1, descriptor length: 20
    designator_type: NAA,  code_set: Binary
    associated with the addressed logical unit
      NAA 6, IEEE Company_id: 0x3ff
      Vendor Specific Identifier: 0x44dc75adc
      Vendor Specific Identifier Extension: 0x95073bae3fb24da5
      [0x60003ff44dc75adc95073bae3fb24da5]
  Designation descriptor number 2, descriptor length: 256
    designator_type: vendor specific [0x0],  code_set: Binary
    associated with the addressed logical unit
      vendor specific: mf?
  Designation descriptor number 3, descriptor length: 51
    transport: Internet SCSI (iSCSI)
    designator_type: SCSI name string,  code_set: Binary
    associated with the target port
      << expected UTF-8 code_set>>
 00     00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00    ................
 10     00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00    ................
 20     00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 00       ...............
  Designation descriptor number 4, descriptor length: 8
    designator_type: Relative target port,  code_set: Binary
    associated with the target port
      Relative target port: 0x0
  Designation descriptor number 5, descriptor length: 45
    transport: Internet SCSI (iSCSI)
    designator_type: SCSI name string,  code_set: UTF-8
    associated with the target device that contains addressed lu
      SCSI name string:

I couldn't test with fcinfo because it doesn't look like its available for Windows 2012 which is what I'm dealing with here.  BTW while doing some more Googling on this issue I found this post for iscsitarget-devel.  It goes over my head but maybe it makes sense for you?

http://iscsi-enterprise-target.996254.n3.nabble.com/scsi-id-scsi-sn-and-vpd-83-type-8h-td11560.html

Thanks,
Doug