[stgt] poor rbd performance

Dan Mick dan.mick at inktank.com
Sat Aug 23 00:17:11 CEST 2014

Hello, name from a past life...

I wrote the original port to rbd, and there was very little attempt to
even consider performance, and certainly no study; it was and is a
proof-of-concept.  I don't know offhand what may be at fault, but I know
it's a target-rich environment, because no one's ever gone hunting at
all to my knowledge.

Several have recommended making use of Ceph async interfaces; I don't
know how much of a win this would be, because stgt already has a pool of
worker threads for outstanding requests.  I also don't know how hard it
is to monitor things like thread utilization inside stgt.

but I'm interested in the subject and can help answer Ceph questions if
you have them.