[wpkg-announce] [wpkg-users] Announcement: WPKG 1.0.4 (stable)

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Mon Mar 30 19:28:21 CEST 2009

Hi Vladimir,

Vladimir Psenicka wrote:
> I noticed change between 1.0.2 and 1.0.4
>
> If I change check type in 1.0.2, I need not to increase revision number.
> On computer reboot/service restart wpkg has detected that firefox
> version 3.0.8 isn't installed (by check type) and automatically installs
> new one. No need to increase revision.
>
> Version 1.0.4 hasn't this ability, I have to increase revision
> number...is this some sort of speed optimization?

Actually I would say it was a bug in WPKG 1.0.2 I would say. Let me explain...

WPKG 1.0.2 was (wrongly) taking the package definition from the server in order
to verify that a package was still installed correctly.
In your case this means that WPKG noticed that the local machine does not have
an uninstall entry called "Mozilla Firefox (3.0.8)". Then WPKG was re-installing
the package.

However this was true only if the uninstall entry changed as well. For example
with Pidgin this would not have happened because the uninstall entry just reads
"Pidgin". So you would also have to increase the version number.

In addition WPKG was executing the "install" command instead of "upgrade"
command because it was thinking the package is not installed at all. In case of
Firefox this was no problem because the upgrade command is identical to install
command usually. But this does not have to be true for other packages.

So the correct behavior of WPKG is to verify if a package is still installed by
taking the locally stored package definition and only initiate an upgrade if the
revision on the server is increased. This also gives you some more clear control
when actually an upgrade should be done (only when you update the revision number).

br,
Rainer