[wpkg-users] wpkg and unattended

Frank Lee rl201 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Nov 8 19:06:39 CET 2005

Hi All,

> Are you using wpkg to push out updates?
> Are you using wpkg to push out new apps so don't have to rebuild the
> whole PC?

I use unattended to install just the OS and wpkg on a machine. wpkg then
takes over and adds the packages. (I was quite happy with unattended's
package installation but I want to be able to add packages and remove them
on the fly without reinstalling...)

> It would be a pain to navigate through a .xml with 90 packages, how do
> users of wpkg manage?

I use a database of packages, computers and licences - XML files are built
up from a query or two which makes things a bit more manageable.

> I am currently using unattended and I looking at wpkg as a way to push
> out updates. I guess I could just use wpkg to call unattended scripts.

I started by converting unattended scripts into WPKG scripts. I had a few
problems using autoit scripts (specifically the WinWait (?) commands
didn't work) so you might be forewarned there. If it's really necessary to
install software like that, I go back to unattended and reinstall the
machine.

My long term goal is to allow users to make adjustments to the database
for site-licenced software which get fed through to the XML files and
enacted on reboot or when the service restarts.

Yours,

Frank

wpkg-users mailing list
wpkg-users at lists.wpkg.org