[wpkg-users] Idea: Lookup product codes

Kristofer Kiik kristofer.kiik at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 17:24:43 CEST 2005

As MSI installer generates product codes that you later need to
uninstall the product, it would be a nice feature to have wpkg.js
lookup the product code by product name.

For example, currently when we install Adobe Reader 7.0.5, English, we
will get the "product code": {AC76BA86-7AD7-1033-7B44-A70500000002}.
This code is always different through versions and languages. So it is
a real pain in the ass when creating silent installers for upgrading
etc.

The remove command in the case of the above answer would be:
<remove cmd='MsiExec.exe /q /x{AC76BA86-7AD7-1033-7B44-A70500000002}' />

It would be better if wpkg.js looked this product code up with its
"DisplayName" (registry terminology) a.k.a "Uninstall String" (in wpkg
terminology).

For example we could have a remove command such as this:
<remove cmd='MsiExec.exe /q /x%ProductID%' />

In which case wpkg.js would go through registry Uninstall section and
could find the product id for the product using its "Uninstall
String". Such a remove command could be constant through different
versions and languages.

cheers,
kristofer

wpkg-users mailing list