[wpkg-users] Introductions & questions.

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Sun Apr 9 21:36:57 CEST 2006

sbotsford wrote:

> This project looks cool.

Thanks.

And sorry for the late reply.

(...)

> 1.  Can multiple depends statements exist in the same profile?
>
>     <profile id="common">
>         <depends profile-id="netapps" />
>         <depends profile-id="photo"   />
>         <depends profile-id="words"   />
>         <depends profile-id="remadm"/>
>     </profile>

Yes, no problem with that.

> 2.    Is order significant in profiles.  Does the profile mentioned
> in a depends statement have to be defined before it is used.

No, it's not significant.
Theoretically, it will be significant if you define profiles with the
same names, but I have no clue why would one want to do this.

> 3.    Given my problem with handwritten HTML files in getting all my
> tags closed properly:  What is the easiest way to verify that one of the
> xml files is syntactically correct?

Some tool for manipulating packages would be nice of course.

Normally, WPKG will quit, giving you the reason why it did. For example,
it will produce an error similar to the one below:

Error while parsing XML document: C:\wpkg\profiles.xml
Reason   some_reason_here_in_your_Windows_language

Line     16
Linepos   5
Filepos 374
srcText    <profile id="custom">
Unable to load specified XML document from C:\wpkg\profiles.xml

> 4.   In light of the above; How robust is wpkg?  If I mis-spell package
> as pakcage will this have an effect outside the scope of the enclosing
> profile?

That can be problematic, for a good reason.

Imagine that you had a profile for a group of hosts, that depended on
"profile1" and "profile2". Now, you edited something, and instead of
"profile2" you have "rofile2".

If you run WPKG next time, it will try to remove everything that is in
"profile2" - because "profile2" is no longer attached to the host/group
of hosts.

If you mis-spell a package name, WPKG will just not install it.

> 5.   What about missing data:
>     Profile foo mentions package bar, but bar is not yet defined in
> packages.xml

As above, WPKG will not install that package, just as if it didn't exist.