[wpkg-users] New User with some questions

David Miller david3d at gmail.com
Thu Aug 17 23:41:40 CEST 2006

Tomasz thanks for the quick reply.

On 8/17/06, Tomasz Chmielewski <mangoo at wpkg.org> wrote:

> David Miller wrote:
> > Hey guys.  I'm new to the list and to wpkg and I'm running into a couple
> > of problems trying to get things up and running and hoping that someone
> > can help me out.  I'm using samba and wpkg 0.9.10.
> >
> > My first problem is that I'm trying to use the split folders for hosts,
> > packages, and profiles but when I run wpkg.js it just errors out because
> > it can't find the xml files in it's current directory.  I tried adding
> > some empty xml files here to appease this but it never searches these
> > sub folders to find the xml files that I'm trying to get it to use.  Any
> > suggestions?
>
> So, you want to have something like this:
>
> hosts - dir with various hosts.xml files (i.e., hosts_a.xml, hosts_b.xml)
> packages - dir with various packages.xml files (i.e. firefox.xml,
> thunderbird.xml)
> profiles - dir with various profiles.xml (i.e. profile_a.xml,
> profile_b.xml)

You need to also have profiles.xml, packages.xml and hosts.xml files, in
> the same directory in which you have wpkg.js.
> They can't be totally empty, they must have at least:
> * <profiles></profiles> for profiles.xml
> * <packages></packages> for packages.xml
> * <wpkg></wpkg> for hosts.xml

This is exactly what I have done currently.  But wpkg when run in debug is
showing 0 hosts, 0 profiles, and 0 packages.

> I'm trying to use wpkg to help me manage my rendering farm (cluster) for
> > rendering with 3dsmax and Digital Fusion as well as some plugin and font
> > management.  The software installation is pretty straight forward but
> > has anyone used wpkg to install fonts?
>
> If the fonts can be installed from command line somehow (silently), wpkg
> should do it's job.

>From what I've seen it's just a matter of copying the font into the fonts
directory and setting 2 registry keys.  Should be pretty easy to
automate...maybe even make a nullsoft installer for it since our font list
doesn't change too often and it's easy to recompile the NSIS and just
increment the version number.