[wpkg-users] WPKG Web Interface

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Wed Dec 13 12:26:46 CET 2006

Michael J. Kidd wrote:
> Uh...
>   Just found the page on the Wiki about a PHP developer requested to
> help create a web interface... Turns out.. that's what I just finished
> up.. :)
>
> If you want to check out the interface, goto: http://wpkg.linuxkidd.com
> to play with it.
>
> Let me know what you think.. I'm very open to suggestions.

Good job.
What can I say - it's the best management interface for WPKG the world
have seen :)

> It's written entirely in PHP and uses a MySQL DB backend.  The XML files
> are saved out by using the 'xml' links to the right of each sections
> label in the menu on the left.

OK, here's my list of suggestions/questions:

1) What is its license? GPL?

2) Is it possible to generate XML for single packages/profiles/hosts?

3) Although I can understand the interface pretty well, it might need a
little explanation for a new user. A couple of "?" (with JavaScript
onmouseover? HTML popup?) icons here and there would be great.

4) Perhaps other ideas that one will have when uses software...

Perhaps a bit philosophical question - what would you like to do with it
in the future? What I mean, after WPKG installer is ready and
feature-full in about two months, there are still some features waiting
to be integrated into wpkg.js...

WPKG Web Interface would be a great addition to what we have already.
In other words, if you want this Web Interface to be hosted on
wpkg.org/sourceforge.net, have it developed by other people, etc.

If yes, perhaps it's time to set up a SVN repository (does svn.wpkg.org
work)?

> I've also integrated a means of managing the MySQL data for
> http://unattended.sourceforge.net

That's also nice, I use Unattended as well.
To bad Unattended doesn't seem much developed these days anymore?

> You'll notice that the data is good and accurate at the moment.  Feel
> free to tweak it as much as you like.  It's not running on the DB I use
> in house.
>
> I'll post a link to download it a little later.  I'm gonna go through
> and make sure all 'private' data is out of the files I want to archive.

I see there is a download link now, great.