[wpkg-users] Feature request

Ed Wallig ilinktech at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 3 14:00:40 CET 2006

Hi,

  OK, so I tried this - created a vbs file that essentially does nothing and changed the install, upgrade, and remove commands to that vbs. I versioned the package and then ran WPKG which changed the WPKG.xml file to reflect the changes to the package.

  However, when I removed the package from the computer's profile and synches again, the reference in WPKG.xml remianed and the Event Log reports and error:

  Source: WSH
  Event ID: 4

  With the changes that werer propagated to WPKG.xml during the versioning, there was no way that the synch could attempt an uninstall of the package so this error has to be WPKG-related - any thoughts?

  Thanks again...

Kristofer Kiik <kristofer.kiik at gmail.com> wrote:
  On 2/3/06, Ed Wallig wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> Feature request - can the capability be added (or does it already exist) to
> remove a package from WPKG without it being removed from the clients?
>
> Basically, I'd like to be able to switch a "managed" application to an
> "unmanaged" one where there is no reference to the package in packages.xml
> or in WPKG.xml but the application is still installed on the clients.
>
> An example of this can be found when deploying packages via Group Policy -
> you can remove the package from the mmc but elect to leave it installed on
> the clients; it simply no longer installs on any other clients.

Kind of around-the-corner solution, but you could do it like this:

- you change the upgrade, install and remove commands to a command
that does nothing and returns no error
- you bump up the version number of this package

cheers,
kristofer