[wpkg-users] wpkg service

Charles McLaughlin cmclaughlin at ucdavis.edu
Wed Jan 4 10:20:46 CET 2006

Thanks for the response.  But if the computer rarely restarts then my
packages will rarely be distributed, correct?  If I plan to use wpkg to
distribute security patches, then perhaps I should schedule Windows to
reboot once a day?

BTW My first wpkg use was a patch for the recent wmf vulnerability:

<package
    id="wmf-fix"
    name="wmf-fix"
    revision="0"
    reboot="false"
    priority="0">

    <!-- If log file exists, then we've already installed the patch so exit-->
    <check type="file" condition="exists" path="C:\NETINST\LOGS\wmf-fix.txt" />

    <install cmd='regsvr32 -s -u %windir%\system32\shimgvw.dll' />
    <install
     cmd='cmd.exe /C "echo patched wmf exploit > c:\netinst\logs\wmf-fix.txt"\' />

</package>

On Wed, 4 Jan 2006, JS wrote:

> Hello,
>
> When you start the computer services are started too.
> So if WPKG service is on Automatic startup:
> When you boot your pc, services started and so wpkg execute the synchronisation .
>
> Regards
> M.
>
> > Message du 04/01/06 à 05h22
> > De : "Charles McLaughlin" <cmclaughlin at ucdavis.edu>
> > A : wpkg-users at lists.wpkg.org
> > Copie à :
> > Objet : [wpkg-users] wpkg service
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm just getting started with wpkg, so please pardon my ignorance.  I
> > installed wpkg as a service and confirmed that packages are installed
> > upon reboot.  However, I have a question:
> >
> > Do I need to always reboot PCs in order for packages to be installed or
> > will the service "synchronize" throughout the day?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Charles

wpkg-users mailing list
wpkg-users at lists.wpkg.org