[wpkg-users] Vista Beta 2 and WPKG

Paul Griffith paulg at cs.yorku.ca
Thu Jun 15 15:56:47 CEST 2006

On Wed, Jun 14, 2006 at 10:01:45PM +0200, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> Paul Griffith wrote:
> > Greetings,
> >
> > I was able to download the 3.2GB DVD iso of Windows Vista Beta 2. I
> > was also able to install WPKG without any problems. The problem we all
> > will have is with User Account Control (also know as Limited User
> > Account LSU), as you know even the administrator account gets the
> > dreaded UAC popup. When I tried to install 7-zip via wpkg, I got the
> > error message "7-Zip requires elavation" :(
> >

> > Here is what I did...
> >
> > HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
> > EnableLUA=1 <- I didn't change this
> > EnableInstallerDetection=0  <- but I did change this from 1 to 0
> >
> > Now I don't get the "7-Zip requires elavation" pop-up, but I couldn't
> > install all the software at one time. For example in this test, I had
> > chosen to install the following:
> >
> > 7-zip
> > Notepad++
> > Putty
> > OpenOffice v2.0.2
> > Firefox
> > Thunderbird
> >
> > On the first install I got the 7-zip error
> > restart WPKG again to install Firefox and Openoffice
> > restart WPKG again to install Notepad++ and Putty
> > restart WPKG again to install Thunderbird.
> >
> > I will try to disable UAC, uninstall all the software and reboot and
> > see what happens, I will post the results when I get a chance.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Paul
> >
> > BTW: On a limited PC this Beta is dog slow. Limited PC is a
> > P3/933Mhz/256MB ram
>
> I didn't have a chance to test Vista yet.
> Wouldn't be it enough to disable EnableLUA before WPKG starts, and
> enable it when WPKG is done?
>

> --
> Tomasz Chmielewski
> http://wpkg.org

Yes, that could work, but I didn't get a chance to try it yet. I also
didn't test to see if you really need to reboot once you disable
LUA. It would be a pain to reboot everytime before you needed to install
software.

I will have to do some more testing and post my results.

wpkg on Vista seems trival (I hope), unattended is another story!

Thanks
Paul