[wpkg-users] Notify in wpkg.js [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Michael Chinn m.chinn at gbrmpa.gov.au
Mon Apr 16 08:34:07 CEST 2007

Ive come across a situation where a package required users to be alerted
that it was being installed, however when I go to use the wpkg notify
system I noticed that it uses net send. On workstation the alerter
service is disabled, I think this is why it is failing.

Would it be better to use the WSH Object Popup?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/script56/html/f482c739-3cf9-4139-a6af-3bde299b8009.asp

starts ~ line 2340
/**
 * Notifies the user/computer with a pop up message.
 */
function notify(message) {
    if (!nonotify) {
    var cmd = "";
        cmd += "%SystemRoot%\\System32\\NET.EXE SEND ";
        cmd += host;
        cmd += " \"" + message + "\"";
        try {
            exec(cmd, 0);
        } catch (e) {
            throw new Error(0, "Notification failed. " + e.description);
        }
    } else {
    info("User notification suppressed.");
    }
}

could be something like

var wshObject = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell");
var intButton = wshObject.Popup("\" + message + "\", 10, "Alert", 52**);
WScript.Echo(intButton);

sorry not much of a scripter otherwise I could polish it up.

**This would also allow users to choose whether to install that package
during that boot and return what the user chose. It also has a timeout
if no button is pressed (10sec)

--
Michael Chinn
User Support Officer - Information Technology

Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority
PO Box 1379
TOWNSVILLE, QLD 4810

Ph 07 47500874 Fax 07 4772 6093
michaelc at gbrmpa.gov.au