[wpkg-users] WPKG - issues

Michael J. Kidd mjkidd at linuxkidd.com
Tue Apr 3 18:18:16 CEST 2007

Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> Alex Owen schrieb:
>
> (...)

>>> What is the purpose of using cmdlines.txt (with which I'm not familiar
>>> BTW) if you use unattended.sf.net?
>> unattended.sf.net just scripts the windows unattended support. It also
>> has default scripts for postinstallation of apps etc. It is that post
>> install step that I am trying to replace with WPKG.
>>
>> cmdlines.txt is a standard part of MS unattended install (see
>> "Cmdlines.txt Processes and Interactions" on this page):
>>
>> http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServer/en/library/d24c91f2-80cd-4a60-98c0-4b9ad28f678a1033.mspx
>>

>> The beauty of cmdlines.txt is that if we can install wpkg service from
>> there then we get WPKG install of remaining software on reboot.
>>
>> It just seems less of a hack than the autologin as admin and
>> GuiRunOnce that unattended.sf.net uses.
>
> Hmm, I believe with unattended.sf.net you do it differently.
> Take a look at your unattend.txt file. At the bottom, you should have
> (if you don't, you can paste it):
>
>      ; First script run by postinst.bat
>      top = "install.bat"
>      ; Optional script(s) run by postinst.bat
>      middle = ""
>      ; Last script(s) run by postinst.bat
>      bottom = ""
>
> There, you can put the scripts you want to run after the OS is installed.
>
> So, in this case, in scripts/install.bat, you would put:
>
> :: Install WPKG
>
> todo.pl "del \"%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Desktop\WPKG Parameters.lnk\""
>
> todo.pl "msiexec /qb /i Z:\packages\wpkg-installer\WPKGSetup.msi
> SETTINGSFILE=Z:\packages\wpkg-installer\settings.xml ALLUSERS=1"
>

> to install WPKG client...
>

> Additionally, you could add (WPKG service is not yet running):
>
> :: Install other stuff with WPKG
> todo.pl "set SOFTWARE=\\branchdc\unattended\packages && cscript
> \\branchdc\unattended\packages\wpkg\wpkg.js /synchronize /debug /nonotify"
>

> to start wpkg.js in a traditional way, now that we make a ver first
> installation.

With Unattended.sf.net, on first bootup, the system auto logs in, and
commences to installing the software depicted by top, middle, and bottom
scripts.  I think what Alex is trying to get away from.. is a machine
somewhere on the floor that's automatically logging in as local admin
where anyone could walk up, cancel whats going on, and be 100% in.

This is where using cmdlines.txt to install wpkg right away would be a
huge help.  First reboot, you could use the logon delay and wpkg would
install all the software as usual without the auto admin login.

Michael