[wpkg-users] WPKG - issues

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Wed Apr 4 20:13:05 CEST 2007

Alex Owen schrieb:
> My settings.xml contains:
>
> <parameters> /synchronize /rebootcmd:"shutdown.exe -r -t 20" </parameters>
>
> But this does not work when the delayed logon is also active!
> (windowsXP)
> the shutdown.exe complains that the "device is not ready" or something
> similar.
> looking at win32 API docs the solution is to try again in a bit. I
> tried to make a batch script to repeatedly run the shutdown command
> but that did not work either.
>

> I have tried many thinngs today and think I have come to a solution
> based on reading this:
> http://wwwthep.physik.uni-mainz.de/~frink/newgina_pre09/readme.html
>
> The idea is this:
> (1) make wpkg.js set a registery key if it needs a reboot
> (2) write a GINA stub that intercepts WlxDisplaySASNotice() and if the
> wpkg-needs-reboot registery key is set then clear wpkg-needs-reboot
> key and initiate a reboot.
>
> Of course I have no proof that this will work but I think that the
> system is effectivly "up" when
> WlxDisplaySASNotice() is called.
>
> The normal MSGINA can also shut the system down so I don't see why
> this stub couldn't either.

The problem is, the system thinks it is "still booting" when delayed
logon is active - in such case, Windows won't reboot.

The solution would be to learn WPKG Installer to read exit codes from
wpkg.js (and, also from "execute before/after"); if we have a specified
exit code, "WPKG service" should schedule a restart as soon as it's
possible.

I think reading an exit code is a cleaner and better solution than
setting/reading/cleaning some registry values.

Of course, that's the concept, the code does not exist yet (and everyone
is welcome to contribute).

Also, we don't want to use any GINAs - this was a conscious decision
wwhen we started to implement the "logon delay" - things tend to get
complicated more than needed then.