[wpkg-users] WPKG Client 1.0-rc1 has been released

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Thu Aug 9 16:25:07 CEST 2007

Dennis Kuhlmeier schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> got a question on how this WPKG version handles a missing network
> drive. I got the impression, this was not that well handled in the
> previous client, in my opinion it should time out much quicker,
> which is why I use a script that first verifies the location of the
> machine and then considers if it should start WPKG at all, as we
> have lots of notebook users who take there machines home. So until
> now I do not use the client at all, but with Vista support it might
> again be the better way.

Basically, WPKG doesn't do any missing network drive handling.

Almost all is done by the system. That means, that WPKG shouldn't wait
much longer than a similar command executed by hand (access a network
drive as a different user):

   net use \\192.168.45.46\share /user:domain\username

I did a quick test, wit nonexisting IP addresses and paths like
\\192.168.5.6\some\path, and nonexisting user for path access - I was
stopped for about 1 minute by WPKG service (with logon delay set to 10
minutes).

You can check all that in Event Log.

Just disable logon delay on laptops, and you should be done (everything
will be done in background, no delay at all).

One more hint: if you're unwilling to disable logon delay, use computer
names (like \\someserver\share) instead of IP addresses; DNS will return
an error to WPKG slightly faster (host not found); the delay will take
about 20-30 seconds instead of 60 seconds.

As of Vista support: in the original message, I forgot to mention that
logon delay doesn't work with Vista. I added it to News on the website now.
It's because of a totally different security model in Vista - we
couldn't figure out how to implement logon delay, and even if it's
possible to do such a feature.