[wpkg-users] reboot problem

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Fri Dec 14 08:14:43 CET 2007

Nicolas Lepot schrieb:

>>> In my case: no reboot.
>>>
>>> If rebootCmd="standard" in wpkg.js :
>>> The GUI WPKG disappears and Windows XP continue booting and displays the
>>> login.
>>> And there, nothing happens (no reboot).
>>>
>>> if rebootCmd="special" in wpkg.js :
>>> The startup is blocked indefinitely on the GUI of WPKG-Client and
>>> nothing happens (no reboot).
>> What do you mean by blocked? You can't login?
>

> Yes, Exactly. Unable to login on Windows because the boot stop at WPKG moment. At startup, I see indefinitely the window of WPKG-Client. I waited 1 hour, but nothing happens. I still see the window of WPKG-Client.

This blocking (called "logon delay") will appear only as long as:

1. wpkg.js runs commands, *AND*
2. logon delay still didn't pass

This means that if you have a broken installer that got stuck and hangs
for user input, and you set logon delay to 90 minutes, the logon delay
will block user for 90 minutes.
On the other hand, if installation is quick and takes only 1 minute, it
will block logon only for 1 minute.

What's your logon delay in WPKG Client? I guess it's bigger than 1 hour?
And it hangs probably on psshutdown "accept window" you're talking about
earlier.

To debug it, set "show GUI" in WPKG Client, decrease logon delay, and
use /debug instead of /quiet for wpkg.js - you should see where it got
stuck.

There are also some badly written applications which install fine from
Administrator account, but show errors or unexpected behaviour when
started from an account which has a name other than Administrator (other
administrator, SYSTEM user etc.), and that could be your other problem
(or, you accepted psshutdown license as Administrator, but not as SYSTEM
etc.).

(...)

>>> How to verify that the customer WPKG tries to restart?
>>> Is there a debug mode in Client-WPKG to analyze what happens?
>> As always, read point 1 of http://wpkg.org/FAQ
>
> I have read the FAQ, but I always my problem.
>
> In the local administrator environment, if I run manually the command : "CSCRIPT \\MAJ01\WPKG\wpkg.js /synchronize /debug", psshutdown.exe run. But it is blocked by the special licence "EULA" of Sysinternals because it is the first usage.
>
> If I click "ok", the computer reboot correctly.
>
> The psshutdown tool want a flag in the register key :
> HKCU\Software\Sysinternals\PsShutdown\EulaAccepted=1.
>

> With the user SYSTEM, psshutdown run well or is it blocked by the Eula Licence ?

I've no idea. I don't use that tool.
When Microsoft acquired Sysinternals, they introduced this helpful
"accept license", which seems to confuse everyone.

With WPKG Client, you don't need to use this tool; WPKG Client can
reboot perfectly fine.