[wpkg-users] Change of method of running wpkg

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Thu Jan 18 19:57:31 CET 2007

B Royles wrote:
> Ok, so time goes on, and I need to uninstall Firefox from a few systems
> for whatever reason.. ( not upgrade ) and during the uninstall, I figure
> out that it should be -msa on the uninstall vice -ms.  I update it on my
> server's packages.xml.  This doesn't help me though, because Wpkg still
> uses the commands that are in the local wpkg.xml file.  So, I get stuck
> finding some other solution to remove this software.. ( And most people
> would probably at that point just go do it manually.. )
>

> I have the EXACT same issue!!!!!
>
> but when you figure it out on a number of 250+ machines well... lets just say forget uninstalling it till next rebuild
>

> This would be a good idea to have as a option in wpkg so people can choose which method they like..

I'd say there are good arguments for both approaches, but Michael's
approach is more elastic.

Let's say you install Firefox, and as the uninstall string give:

Firefox\uninstall.exe -I -made -a -typo

oops!

There, with server-side approach, you can always correct it.
With client-side approach, it's not that easy.

If you're still confused, and you're not sure which versions you have
installed and which uninstall options you should use, I'd try something
like:

%ProgramFiles%\Mozilla\Firefox\uninstall.exe -ms (with timeout="30")
taskkill /f /im uninstall.exe
%ProgramFiles%\Mozilla\Firefox\uninstall.exe -msa (again, with
timeout="30" in XML)
taskkill /f /im uninstall.exe

To tell some more, some time in the past, WPKG used a "server-side
uninstallation instructions", but it was a bit buggy, and was removed -
anyone wants to review old versions and extract the right code? :)