[wpkg-users] creative ideas to spread out the running of wpkg installs?

Urs Rau urs.rau at uk.om.org
Sat Jul 21 21:08:26 CEST 2007

Tomasz,

Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> How much RAM does the server have?

2GB

> What OS is the server running?

CentOS 4.5

CPU: Dual AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 246 2 GHz

kernel: 2.6.9-55.0.2.ELsmp

samba: samba-3.0.25b-1
samba-common-3.0.25b-1
samba-client-3.0.25b-1

users: +/- 70

> If the file is just 90 MB, it should have been cached to RAM, and served to the clients from RAM.

Yes, I know, I was really taken aback when this happened. Have not had
any other load issues on that server in the 1 1/2 yrs it has been running.

> I normally install programs that are even 1GB big, + the whole operating system, and the whole operation takes about 1-2 hours for ~40 workstations.
>
> So I can only suspect your server is misconfigured in some bad way.

It sure didn't feel right. But it is otherwise not suffering from anything.

> The idea of having a central program monitoring all client requests may sound fine, but is totally unrealistic (at least, with the manpower we have).

OK. I'll take your word on that. But I must say I rather liked those
talking about a server - client protocol handler for this purpose. I
guess if nothing else then it gave me at least an excellent
'work-around' in the posting from Michael Chinn using robocopy, where I
can use bandwidth control, and then local installs afterwards. So, the
list has done it again. Thanks.

Thanks guys.

--
Urs Rau