[wpkg-users] security issues

Brian May bam at snoopy.apana.org.au
Tue Jun 5 14:38:29 CEST 2007

    Tomasz> Well, perhaps it suffices if WPKG service is started as a
    Tomasz> domain user, or WPKG path uses domain user credentials.

    Tomasz> Then, Windows should take care of all security issues for
    Tomasz> us - no need to reinvent anything here, if the operating
    Tomasz> system already does it?

    Tomasz> And Brian - what kind of tests did you really make?

Unfortunately not.

I setup a Samba server, not in a domain, and configured to map any bad
password to the guest user, with the same name as a server that was in
the domain.

The client computer was a domain member and logged into the domain.

I ensured that the genuine server was off-line, and from the client
computer, I established a connection to the fraudulent server.

Windows did not offer any errors or warnings that the computer I was
connecting to was fraudulent or that it was connecting as a guest user
instead of the (expected) authenticated user.
--
Brian May <bam at snoopy.apana.org.au>