[wpkg-users] frequency of wpkgservice checking for new installs

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Tue Jun 12 22:24:32 CEST 2007

Brad Langhorst schrieb:
>> the

>>> i mean a special file that an administrator could create to trigger a
>>> sync.
>>> eg: \\rococo\wpkg\FORCE_SYNC
>>>
>>> if the file is present when the service  polls the service could start a
>>> sync.
>> Well, it's not enough.
>> So we create a file there, and don't remove it... What happens? We could
>> read some timestamps - what if the clocks are out of sync?
>>
>> So, we would have to check and remember timestamps - but what if WPKG
>> starts, and the file is already there?
>>
>> Yes, lots of "if"s :)
>
> I'm thinking that if that file is there then the service will try to do
> a sync every X minutes (which could be bad on a big network, but then
> again a power outage could be bad too).
>
> If the service just keeps syncing every X minutes then there are no
> worries about timestamps etc.  If you wanted to do only a single forced
> sync, I guess the service could keep track of whether it had synced or
> not until it sees that the FORCE_SYNC file has disappeared (at which
> point it could clear its already synced state and be ready to watch for
> a new FORCE_SYNC file)

So, how do we determine X value?

Isn't a file which needs to be created an extra complication for the
administrator? Also, what if we want to synchronize only some selected
clients periodically?

Maybe, just make an option in WPKG Client setup: do a synchronization
every X hours, or every day at HH:MM? Wouldn't it be duplication of a
System Scheduler?