[wpkg-users] frequency of wpkgservice checking for new installs

Brad Langhorst brad at coopmetrics.coop
Wed Jun 13 00:12:39 CEST 2007

On Tue, 2007-06-12 at 23:04 +0200, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> Brad Langhorst schrieb:
>
> (...)
>
> You might think I'm only complaining - I'm not.
> In fact, I'm trying to find weak points, to that we could come up with a
> better design.

I try not to assume the worst over email... no social context ;)

> > The advantage of having a file on the server is that the admin does not
> > have to touch every machine (or use psexec) to get them all to sync up.
> > You bring up a good point about sets of machines...  That would be a
> > PITA to deal with using psexec too.
>
> Still, WPKG Client has to attempt to read such a file every X minutes /
> hours.

Yeah - that's true - the service would have to do a read on the server
every few minutes (this could be configured in the service).
I don't think it will be noticeable even with a large number of clients.

> > Maybe it's better to put this feature in the profiles.xml where it could
> > enabled be on a per group basis.
>
> There is one slight problem with that: WPKG Client and wpkg.js are not
> very well integrated (it will change slowly in the future; right now,
> there are even problems with restarts initiated by wpkg.js etc.).
>
> This means, we would have to learn WPKG Client to read and parse files
> used by wpkg.js. Which means - parsing profiles.xml is not enough, and
> profiles can be also kept in "profiles" directory.

That is a bit of a problem.
1) effort for the service
2) duplication of code

Perhaps it's possible to modify wpkg.js to have a new
switch /exportprofiles (or somesuch) that the service could parse
easily.

> > The value of X could be included as an attrib of the force_sync element
> > (or in the file) and could default to never.
>
> All right - this is why I don't like the "force_sync=1 / force_sync=0" idea.
>
> Assume we want to initiate a sync, so we put force_sync=1 there. The
> client syncs, but we see we forgot about something, so another sync is
> needed. Hmm, force_sync=2, force_sync=3, force_sync=n? Logically, how
> should it work?

I was thinking that maybe X should be something like 600 minutes, I
guess your comments have made me think that would be better than a force
sync.

If an admin wanted an immediate force she could change the time to 1
minute and then change it back.

brad
--
Brad Langhorst