[wpkg-users] Package name: null

Jeff Richards bsd24x7 at yahoo.com
Sat May 19 20:15:13 CEST 2007

I'm testing applying MS security patches via wpkg to a Windows XP Pro PC.  In Windows' application eventlog I get errors like this:

There were the following errors:

Package name: null

Could not install null.
Exit code returned non-successful value: 61686.

\\myserver\myinstallshare\windowsxp-kb873339-x86-enu.exe /quiet /norestart

The 61686 error is for invalid switches.  Do I need to escape the switches or add them like another parameter?  Here's the stanza for the failed above install:

    <package id="kb873339">
        name="MS_Windows_KB873339"
        revision="1"
        reboot="false"
        priority="0">
        <check type="registry" condition="exists" path="HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\KB873339" />
        <install cmd='\\myserver\myinstallshare\windowsxp-kb873339-x86-enu.exe /quiet /norestart
' />
        <exit code="0" />
    </package>

My other question is why is the package name "null"?  I tested installs with 7-zip, etc. and they worked fine.  Does it have anything to do with dependencies?  I defined the patches in the sequence I had in a cmd file I used to patch PCs, and each patch had a dependency on the previous patch, but only used that single previous package as a dependency.  For example, the patch following the above stanza is:

    <package id="kb885836">
        <depends package-id="kb873339"/>
        name="MS_Windows_KB885836"
        revision="1"
        reboot="false"
        priority="0">
        <check type="registry" condition="exists" path="HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\KB885836" />
        <install cmd='\\myserver\myinstallshare\windowsxp-kb885836-x86-enu.exe /quiet /norestart
' />
        <exit code="0" />
    </package>

Sorry for the long email, and thanks in advance for any help.

wpkg-users mailing list
wpkg-users at lists.wpkg.org