[wpkg-users] WPKG cannot reach Samba at boot-up (was Re: Where is WPKG client config stored?)

Dave Ewart davee at ceu.ox.ac.uk
Mon May 21 18:12:30 CEST 2007

On Monday, 30.04.2007 at 15:37 +0100, Dave Ewart wrote:

> > > Yeah, that's how I interpreted it; and I found some discussion about
> > > people who were actively trying to do things with multiple shares, but
> > > that's not what I'm doing...

> > > Yes, "some other script or program uses network shares" makes sense as
> > > an explanation but doesn't apply here.  There's nothing else running.
> > > All the 'working' PCs and 'non-working' PCs were deployed from the same
> > > Windows XP disk image and are, aside from minor hardware differences,
> > > identical.
> >
> > Some 3rd party worm/virus? :)
> >
> > Try that: log into a problematic machine.
> >
> > Open cmd.exe.
> >
> > Use "net use" to show current open connections.
> >
> > Try net stop "wpkg service", net stop "wpkg service", netstat, net
> > use... There must be something which blocks a connection.
>
> On one of the 'problem' PCs, logged-in as local Administrator:
>
>   net use
>   New connections will not be remembered
>
>   There are no entries in the list.
>
> Not that then.
>
> And, for what it's worth, running:
>
> net stop "wpkg service"
> net start "wpkg service"
>
> works fine, for a local Administrator session, started immediately after
> boot-up.

I still haven't solved the above issue :-(

I'm focusing on the message in the Event Log ("Multiple connections to a
server or shared resource by the same user, using more than one user
name, are not allowed.") - there is nothing running as any other user
that I am aware of.  Is there any way to make this message more verbose
and say which shares/users it believes are in use?

Taking this further, I have three PCs, all imaged from the same sysprep
image for WinXP: